Mathematical studies (2)
|Level:||11 Stage 1|
|Year level requirements:||Non compulsory|
|SACE code:||1MAT10||SACE credits:||10|
Consistent C+ grade or better required in Year 10 Advanced Mathematics, and C+ grade in Year 10 Extensions Mathematics.
These courses will be taken as 10 credit units in Semester 1. This course is part of the new Stage 1 Australian Curriculum. It provides the foundation required for further study in mathematics at Stage 2 in Mathematical Methods and Specialist Mathematics.
The Mathematical Studies 2 course may contain the following topics:
- Growth & Decay
- Arithmetic and Geometric Series and Sequences
- Introduction to Differential Calculus
There are 2 main assessment components - Skills and Assessment Tasks (SATs), and investigations/reports.
|Assessment Type||Possible Number of Assessment Items in Semester 1||Approximate weightings of each type of assignment|
|Skills & Applications Tasks (SATs)||3||75%|
|Investigations / Report||2||25%|
An examination on the semester’s topics is also used to assess the students, and the result of this (minimum of C+ grade) will be used in conjunction with the semester SACE grade to determine pre-requisites for Stage 2 Mathematics courses.
Casio Graphics Calculator – FX-9860G AU Plus OR CG20AU.
- “C+” grades (minimum) for Stage 1 Mathematics 1, 2 and 3 are pre-requisites for Stage 2 Mathematical Methods
- “C+” grades (minimum) for Stage 1 Mathematics 1, 2, 3 and 4 are pre-requisites for Stage 2 Specialist Mathematics
- Mathematical Studies 1 and 2 are undertaken and completed in Semester 1